Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tessellation Project







These two pieces are my cutouts that I worked with. The one on the right was the triangle I started with and the triangle on the left is the finished product. Since I had difficulties with photoshop I decided to make my tessellation by hand. Therefore since I was using an x-acto knife my options for cutting out the original shape were limited because the precision of an x-acto knife cannot compare to photoshop. The shape is of a half arrow. 




This here is my finished product. After cutting out my tessellation I figured it would be visually interesting to make my final product look like my original tessellation but scaled up. However I did not like how it came out so I moved on. Since I like things to be neat and not chaotic, I arranged the tessellation symmetrically. I started by rotating the tessellation 60 degrees on a corner to form a hexagon. From there I branched out to create movement vertically. I did this twice which is why there are four branches so to speak of. Next step was to give it a pattern and/or color. I chose black and red sharpie because I wanted to make the lines bold. Plus red and black seem to compliment eachother well. I started with the red sharpie and at the center of the hexagons I went vertical to add line movement. Next I colored the rest of the lines black so the red lines stick out more. Finally within the hexagons I colored in my original shape that I cut out and striped each one. 


Overall this project was a challenge because of photoshop. Although I was not successful in creating my tessellations via photoshop I did learn more about the program. At the beginning of the year I had no experience what so ever with photoshop but now I am gaining more confidence with it.






No comments:

Post a Comment